Thursday 18 February 2016

Which Voiceover Booth should I buy?

If you are looking for a new vocal booth in which to record your voiceovers, we recently saw this on social media and thought it worthy of discussion.

This is a link to a YouTube video about the new IsoVox 

     

David W takes a selfie in our vocal booth

My first reaction was "Is this an April Fools joke?" It looks ridiculous: far too small and cramped. And claustraphobic.

From the video I was wondering how you would ever be able to read a script in there? It looks as big as your head and no bigger. But from the Isovox website, it is clear you could read from a tablet and there is a light source. Whether it's a good enough light source I cant tell. I hate reading from a tablet - I still prefer paper (not least so you can mark up the script with amends.)

What I dont understand is their claim (at 0.40 on the YouTube clip) why a conventional method is good for recording but not practising.
 
   

What no voice talent?

Its only available in Sweden. For the moment.

Even if it does reach the UK, I really don't fancy sticking my head in a box to record my next voiceover. I just don't see how it would lead to a good performance.